Henry Rollins, an actor probably best known for his role as AJ Weston in Son’s of Anarchy, once said “August, the summer’s last messenger of misery, is a hollow actor.”
Ann Landers, the witty advice columnist said “Nobody ever drowned in his own sweat.” It is doubtful that Landers ever spent a summer in Georgia.
Sure, the blistering heat is bad, but fall is just around the corner. In the meantime, pick some hot August topics to be aware of this month. And some of the Awarenesses are fun, like American Adventure Month and International Pirate Month. Sure there are some serious ones, but take some time to learn what’s happening this month.
- American Adventures Month: just as it sounds – go on an adventure. You don’t have to go far, either. Explore local areas you haven’t seen before. Chickamauga Battlefield, Amicalola Falls, and Tate are just a few places you can go. Discover Dahlonega here.
- American Artist Appreciation Month: with all the concern about whether schools are going to start in August, or later, and with many parents already taking point on education, introduce you child to art this month. Check out www.giftsforlearning.com for resources.
- Boomers Making a Difference Month: Boomers have gotten kind of a bad rap lately, but this is their month to show how they are making a difference in the lives of others. Learn how here.
- Bystander Awareness Month: learn what to do if you witness crime against someone else at www.nsvrc.org.
- Children’s Eye Health and Safety Month: Not being able to see assignments is one reason some children struggle in school. Get more information at Prevent Blindness.
Children’s Vision and Learning Month: learn how vision impacts learning and what to do here.
- Get Ready for Kindergarten Month: getting ready for the first day of school can be daunting, but don’t worry, we’ll help you at FYN.
- Happiness Happens Month: Pamela Gail Johnson is the Chief Happiness Officer and Happiness advocate. She believes happier employees create better bottom lines. Read more here: https://pamelagailjohnson.com/
- International Pirate Month: use this time to get ready for Talk Like Pirate Day in September. Ahoy, mates!
- Motorsports Awareness Month: Enjoy the roar, but ride safe. Learn more at Work Smart Live Smart.
- National Back-to-School Month: returning to school in a post-COVID world has left parents with many questions and concerns. Follow your local school system for what to expect.
- National Black Business Month: information that could impact your business, including pending legislation, who is getting it
done, and other business news here.
- National Immunization Awareness Month: for more information, read what the Centers for Disease Control says.
- Spinal Muscular Atrophy Awareness Month: SMA affects the motor nerve cells in the spinal cord. Learn more at Cure SMA.
For a list of weekly and daily awareness for August, visit https://www.notjustbingo.com/activity-calendars/august-calendar.html
Opening quotes curtesy of: https://popculturemadness.com/Trivia/August/index.php
If you’re enjoying the Sunday Edition, then consider becoming a contributor with your own articles. If you have an article that needs highlighting send it to firstname.lastname@example.org to become a part of our growing community of feature news.