- 1 red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 (14.5 oz) can of diced tomatoes
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 Tsp dried oregano
- 1 Tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 Tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (4 to 5 oz each)
- 1 (15 oz) can cannellini, white beans, or navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- Cubed or sliced avocado
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Crushed Tortilla Chips
- Sour Cream
- Chili Cheese Fritos
- In a slow cooker, combine the bell pepper, onion, tomatoes, stock, tomato paste, oregano, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper and stir until fully combined. Nestle the chicken breasts into the mixture. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours.
- When done, transfer the chicken to a cutting board and use forks to shred the meat. Set aside.
- Add the beans to the slow cooker. Using an immersion blender, blend until almost smooth, but still a bit chunky (I like mine smooth). Add the shredded chicken and cheddar and stir until the cheese has melted. Stir in the cilantro (if using). Ladle into bowls and serve with toppings
Pressure Cooker Method:
- Add the bell pepper, onion tomatoes, stock, tomato paste, oregano, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper to the pot and stir until fully combined. Nestle the chicken breasts into the mixture.
- Cover and cook on high pressure for 5 minutes. Quick-release the pressure. Then follow the directions in the slow cooker version to finish, starting with shredding chicken.
If you’ve been following this for the past few months you’ll know by now I love a meal that is super quick, and easy and Chicken tortilla soup fits that to a tee. It’s packed full of flavor and shouldn’t leave you feeling too guilty after eating it.
This recipe comes from Tia Mowry’s The Quick Fix Kitchen by far my favorite cookbook that I have. Chicken tortilla soup is just one of her recipes for a busy life. It’s also perfect for picky eaters because you can blend it until it’s smooth and they will never know what they are eating.
I eat mine with usually Fritos and extra cheese but I forgot to buy the Fritos this time so I used the tortilla chips. My boyfriend usually just does the tortilla chips but with this dish, it’s up to you how you want to top it.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Serving Weight: 245g
Calories 130 kCal, Total Carbs 18 g, Net Carbs 14 g, Fiber 4 g, Sugar 2 g, Protein 9 g, Fat 3 g, Saturated Fat 1 g, Cholesterol 5 mg
For the website to check the nutritional information visit https://www.carbmanager.com/food-detail/md:ac5d8a011223a49e93693f2c41be0b9b/chicken-tortilla-soup. For another Mexican-style recipe check out https://sundayedition.fetchyournews.com/2022/06/12/recipe-of-the-week-taco-casserole/.